Well, it took many, many complaints, but Andre Johnson is no longer wearing a “Nashville Police Department” badge.
How many complaints? I can’t honestly say, but enough to have been “disciplined” 31 times. Thirty-one times!
Were you ever give more than one or two chances at your job? Why are folks like Johnson protected into today’s monopoly of policing? (Educate yourself on the causes and alternatives over at CopBlock.org/Knowledge.)
In one of those disciplinary episodes (which were obviously so effective) Johnson was “decommissioned”, which his boss Steve Anderson says earned him a lobby assignment, which “no one wants.”
Damn. That’s serious.
But not as serious as the multiple ladies Johnson hit. Multiple times. Nor the double-standards afforded to him for failing to even show up at work. Still, he was paid. For the 24-years he wore a “Nashville Police Department” badge.
But even now, even after the obviously terrible track record he has, he wasn’t fired. He resigned before that could happen.
Johnson’s outright thuggery was becoming too much of a black eye for Nashville’s largest gang. It’s a shame it took this long.
Bullies love to keep their misdeeds unknown. Going forward, anyone who’s wronged by someone wearing a badge should know that they can make transparent the interaction through outlets like CopBlock.org/Submit. Getting more eyes on the situation does help. So does connecting with Copblockers in your area.
As reported by WKRN on February 27, 2013, “A judge cleared a former Metro cop accused of domestic assault of all charges on Wednesday.”
In what seems fairly typical for aggressors who wear a badge, if the incident in question is serious enough, they often resign (or are pressured out), rather than bring a bigger black eye to their outfit. In exchange, the charges levied seem to evaporate.
- Nashville cop quits following assault claims by The Tennessean on Dec. 11th, 2012
- Johnson resigns before disciplinary hearing by The Tennessean on Dec. 10th, 2012
- Nashville officer disciplined 31 times in 24 years from WKRN on Oct. 29th, 2012
- Decommissioned officer faces 2nd domestic assault charge from WKRN on Oct. 22nd, 2012
- Metro officer faces domestic assault charge from WKRN on Oct. 10th, 2012
Nashville Police Department:
- (615) 862-8600
- 200 James Robertson Parkway
Nashville, TN 37201
- CopBlock – Nashville on Facebook
- Tennessee Peace Officer Accountability on Facebook
- Tennessee Sons of Liberty on YouTube
- When Tennessee Pigs Fly website
*I first became familiar with Johnson’s actions when I knew I was going to participate in the Nashville Liberty Fest this past November.