Eight Arrested at Manchester, NH Pro-Police Accountability Rally
UPDATE – October 27th:
To see all posts related to this incident visit: Manchester’s Chalking 8
UPDATE – June 5th (by Ademo):
I was finally released at approximately 12:30pm after a bail hearing. I was placed on $1,000 Personal Recognizance – meaning if I don’t go to court I’ll be fined that amount – with several ‘bail conditions,’ all things that are illegal already (except the excessive drinking one? – lol). My trial is scheduled for August 18th, 2011, I’m facing three misdemeanor charges (Criminal Mischief and two counts of Resisting).
I want to thank all of those who were at the protest against Manchester Police brutality ofthe past few weeks. Seems folks were right when they said the Manchester police were heavy handed and quick to use force. I also want to thank all those who made calls in support to the police station and jail facility for Wes and I (and the others prior to release).
For now it’s back to work, finishing the Free State Friendship Tour (and PorcFest) and then our trial in Greenfield. After that we’ll revisit this issue, thanks again and stay tuned for more from LibertyOnTour.com and CopBlock.org. – Much love Ademo!
On Saturday, June 4th, 2011 – eight ‘shire-based activists were arrested while at a pro-police accountable rally outside the Manchester, NH PD 603.668.8711. Earlier in the week we had announced our intentions to hold the event due to two recent incidents perpetrated by those wearing “Manchester PD” badges:
- The shooting death of James Breton (interviews of neighbors Ademo captured this week contradict the “official” story – we’ll have this video up soon)
- The clearing of off-duty officers who beat Christopher Micklovich
- Ademo Freeman – criminal mischief and resisting
- Charles Nachtrieb – disorderly
- Garret Ean – disorderly
- Kate Ager – disorderly and resisting
- Mike Segal – disorderly
- Neal Connor – criminal mischief
- Pete Eyre – disorderly
- Wes Gilreath – criminal mischief and false report
Kate was bailed out for $540. We were all given court dates of June 23rd. Only Ademo and Wes currently remain behind bars. They were transported to the Valley St. Jail 603.627.5620 and should be arraigned this Monday, June 6th at 8:30am – join us to show support!
The event today began at 4pm. At its peak, about 40 activists were present holding signs on the corners of Chestnut and Merrimack and along the street. Passerbys were handed literature and engaged in conversation. Many stopped to share their own stories of rights-violations by those wearing “Manchester PD” badges. Some driving by honked in support.
A short time later Ademo and Wes were arrested – ostensibly for chalking. Next, Mike and Neal were handcuffed and taken away. A WMUR Channel 9 van driving by was flagged down. Some folks present, including myself, gave interviews. Not sure what, if anything aired from that. Next, Kate was literally surrounded by men and women wearing “Manchester PD” badges and arrested for standing in a “crime scene” (the sidewalk that had earlier been chalked). The group then stood shoulder-to-shoulder and walked north on Chestnut, telling those present to “move back” – supposed so they could capture “evidence” (pictures of the chalking). After passing the last of the chalk someone with a “Manchester PD” badge ordered his colleagues to “arrest them!” and Charlie, Garret Ean and I were handcuffed for …?
Video cameras and cell phones were stolen (“seized”) from those arrested. Even some not arrested had their video camera and/or phone stolen by those wearing “Manchester PD” badges on their costumes.
- Mass Arrests and Camera Seizures at Manchester PD Demonstration from Garret Ean at FreeConcord.org
- An article from the Union Leader: Eight arrested in protest of Manchester police
- State of the Police State: The War Against Us by Garry Reed of the Libertarian Examiner
- Manch Arraignment & PD Follow-up via LibertyOnTour.com
- video – Ridley Report
- video – Kevin Freeheart (Initial Arrests)
- video – Antigone on Ridley’s Qik
- video – Ridley on Ridley’s Qik
- Liberty On Tour’s Free State Friendship Tour (the reason we were in Manch)