A judge recently ruled the Washington man’s lawsuit could move forward, but prosecutors say they aren’t impressed by the evidence.
Four years ago cops from the King’s County Sheriff’s Office and the state Department of Corrections (DOC) in Washington busted into the home of Dustin Theoharis and shot the unarmed man 16 times as he lay in bed. Theoharis had at least a dozen surgeries but survived. He sued the county, settling for $3 million, and has also sued the DOC.
Both the county and the department have ruled the shootings justified, despite the lack of a firearm and the fact that the two cops shot a man 16 times as he lay in bed. Earlier this month a judge ruled Theoharis’ excessive force lawsuit against the DOC could move forward, citing the cops’ questionable testimony (they didn’t provide a statement for weeks after the shooting).
But that’s not enough for county prosecutors…(Read the full story on Reason.com)
Washington Cop Block Affiliates
- Cop Block of Whidbey Island – Facebook
- Lewis County Cop Block – Facebook / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Peaceful Streets Lewis County – Facebook / email@example.com
- Seattle Cop Block – Facebook / Twitter / YouTube / firstname.lastname@example.org (read: Seattle Cop Block Has Been Launched!)
- Spokane Cop Block – Facebook / Twitter / YouTube / email@example.com (read: A Message from Spokane CopBlock Founder Adam Murray)
- Tacoma Cop Block – Facebook / Youtube / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yakima Cop Block – Facebook / email@example.com