Filming Police Dogs & Choppers: In the Right Place at the Right Time (video)
It is always good to have feelers out ready to alert you when something is going on with the police. On March 13th, 2015, I got a message that there were about 20 patrol cars and and chopper around the usual hangout of a long-time subscriber, known as “Racist Tommy” for obvious reasons (see video of his hilarious – albeit racist call to the Polk County Sheriff). Something I don’t condone, however, he runs into police often and has been the subject of a few videos in the past.
I managed to catch all the green lights, besides one, getting me to the area in time to see the accused tracked down by a K9 unit. There was a 10 block area being searched, at the time. I pulled into the Home Depot Parking lot, which is where the manhunt ended. It was still uncertain as to what the accused did. He was tracked down hiding in a small patch of woods between the Home Depot & 98 North in Lakeland.
As I got out of the car, I immediately saw an officer running with a purpose, so I followed him. I did not want to get too close and risk being told to leave the area. It was a private property parking-lot and police will often have a person trespassed as a punitive measure by simply asking an employee to do it.
Once Tommy found me, I got a little closer to the action and handed him the camera that zooms better; a good choice considering I have never been able to hold it as steady as he did. At one point he heard a taser go off. I didn’t personally hear it, being deaf. However, as the suspect was being loaded in the car, it appeared an officer yanked a taser probe out of the suspect’s back. Officers then patted themselves on the back and one was checking out a scuffed elbow.
The officer with the suspect in the car quickly left the area. I took a few minutes to walk around attempting to find out what he was accused of and any other information. However, both officers I spoke with claimed to have only been there for backup. No other information was gathered on the situation. I will hopefully be updating the story following a FIOA (Freedom of Information Act) request to the Lakeland Police Department on Monday.
Florida Cop Block Affiliates
- Collier Cop Block – Facebook / Twitter / firstname.lastname@example.org
- CopBlock Cape Coral – Facebook
- Cop Block Central Florida – Facebook / Twitter / Youtube
- Lake County Cop Block – Facebook / email@example.com
- Marion County Cop Watch – Facebook / firstname.lastname@example.org (read: Marion County Cop Block)
- Miami Cop Block – Facebook
- Ocala Cop Block – Facebook / email@example.com
- Panhandle Cop Block – Facebook / Twitter / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pensacola Cop Block – Facebook / email@example.com
- Sarasota Cop Block – Facebook
- South Florida Cop Block – Facebook / Twitter / Tumblr
- Treasure Coast Cop Block – Facebook