Even after realizing they had detained the wrong person, police in Henderson Nevada released a K9 into his car where his 17 month old daughter was. By the time they managed to stop the dog, it had already bitten the infant, leaving her with nine wounds on her right arm.
The incident, which actually happened on January 30th of this year, came to light after the Henderson Police Department agreed to force Nevada taxpayers to pay the victim’s family $13,000 to make up for their reckless actions. In addition, police released the dash cam videos of the incident after the settlement announcement.
Although the police at the scene had already determined they had the wrong person before the K9 officer arrived, confusion over the fact that the girl’s father didn’t speak English is being used as the excuse for why the dog was released. In reality, it was a lack of communication between those officers that resulted in an innocent toddler being mauled by a vicious dog for no reason whatsoever.
Via the Las Vegas Review Journal:
“My baby,” Arturo Arenas-Alvarez said in halting English as a Henderson police K9 ran toward his sport utility vehicle, which sat nearby in a parking lot. “I’ve got my baby.”
“There’s an infant in that car! There’s an infant in that car!” an officer yelled to his colleagues.
It was too late. The Belgian Malinois had already gone into the SUV and bitten Arenas-Alvarez’s 17-month-old daughter, Ayleen, on the right arm…
Police videos of the Jan. 30 incident show officers who ordered a confused Arenas-Alvarez out of his vehicle quickly concluded he wasn’t the robbery suspect they were trying to find.
But then Sgt. James Mitchell, who had arrived on the scene seconds earlier, got out of his cruiser and released his dog.
In a recent interview, Police Chief Patrick Moers said Mitchell should have communicated better with fellow officers.
“In my opinion, the dog was used too fast,” the chief said.
Chief Moers assured everyone that an “investigation” was conducted, although no policy changes would be made as a result. Equally unsurprisingly, Sgt. Mitchell, who released his dog on an innocent baby within 90 seconds of arriving at the scene, was not punished in any way.
Sergeant Mitchell for his part expressed relief that the dog had a soul after regaling the other officers with a story of how the last person mauled by his dog had nothing but bone left on their arm. It was also pointed out that they gave the little girl a teddy bear to make up for their dog violently attacking her. The fact that they actually had no reason to search the car of a person they had already determined wasn’t a suspect was conveniently left out.
Posts Related to Police Brutality
- Las Vegas Cop Faces Federal Civil Rights Charges Over Beating of Woman For Littering
- Update: Woman Beaten by LVMPD Officer For Littering Has Filed Civil Rights Lawsuit
- LVMPD Sued By Man Shown on Video Being Attacked by Police at Hard Rock Casino
- LVMPD Officer James Burt Charged With Domestic Battery And Kidnapping (Again)
- LVMPD Beat a Man for “Not Moving Fast Enough”
- Oregon Cop Throws Handcuffed Man Head First Into Concrete Wall on Video; Receives Probation
- Excessive Force Suit Filed After Philadelphia Sheriff’s Deputies Tackled Pennsylvania Bar Association President
- Off Duty NYPD Cop Killed in Hit and Run Accident was Threatening Woman With His Gun
- Tashii Brown’s Mother Calls For Murder Charge Against Las Vegas Cop At “What Happened in Vegas” Screening
- “What Happened in Vegas” Documentary; LVMPD Racial Profiling, False Arrest Case Featured on Las Vegas’ Local ABC Station
- LVMPD Officer Kenneth Lopera Only Charged With Involuntary Manslaughter For Murder of Tashii Brown
- Tashii Brown Protest: Woman is Attacked by Racist Man With Knife, LVMPD Arrests Those Defending Her
- Tashii Brown-Farmer Asked For Help; LVMPD Officer Kenneth Lopera Tased And Choked Him To Death Instead
- Kirstin Blaise Lobato Freed After 15 Years in Prison for Las Vegas Murder Prosecutors Knew She Couldn’t Have Committed
- Las Vegas Police Jailed Paraplegic for Two Weeks; Accused Him of Robbery Where Suspect Ran Away
- “What Happened in Vegas” Isn’t Staying in Las Vegas; Documentary on Police Brutality Premiers at Cinequest
- Nevada CopBlock Founder Arrested While Filming Las Vegas Metro Police
- Lt. Brian Filipiak, “Superdrunk” Michigan Cop Who Insisted on Being “Just Let Go,” Let Off With Probation
- Topless Femen USA Activists Assaulted/Arrested at Counter-Protest of San Francisco Anti-Abortion Rally (NSFW Video)
- Las Vegas Attorney Stephen Stubbs: “Stand Up and Tell the Truth” – Why #PoliceLiesMatter
- Bill Scott Testimony in Support of NV Bodycam Bill: “My Son Erik Might Be Alive Today…” (Video)
- Jesus Arevalo, the LVMPD Cop Who Murdered Stanley Gibson, Ends Up in Jail (For 10 Days)
- Death Threats Received After Interview of Erik Scott’s Father
- Two Georgia Cops Fired After Making Racist Facebook Posts Bragging About Targeting Black Drivers
- Philadelphia Cop Who Robbed Contractor of $38 Given Plea Deal; Sentenced to Probation
- An Open Letter to LVMPD Sheriff Doug Gillespie From Stanley Gibson’s Widow
- Justice for Stanley Gibson or Just an End-Around Coroner’s Inquest Reforms?
- Will There Ever Be Justice? by Rondha Gibson
- Erik Scott’s Murder: What Happens in the LVMPD, Stays in the LVMPD
- Trevon Cole Murdered by LVMPD Officer Bryan Yant During Drug Raid
- Submit Your Own Story of Police Abuse/Corruption
- Help Wanted! How You Can Become Involved With NVCopBlock
- #FTP – How and Why You Should Always Film The Police
- Press Passes for Independent Media and Freelance Journalists
- How to File a Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) Request
- “Let Me See Your I.D.” Stop and Identify Statutes – Know Your Rights
- Know Your Rights Seminar Video by Las Vegas Attorney Stephen Stubbs
- Beware of Gang Activity in Your Neighborhood!
- “What Happened in Vegas” Didn’t Stay in Las Vegas; Police Brutality Documentary Premiers at Cinequest
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: The LVMPD’s Killer Reputation
- Don’t Call the Pigs: An Informal Guide to Alternative Policing Within an Anarchist Justice System
- A Video Compilation of Las Vegas Area Police Brutality
- Donate to the Cause – Help Us Help You Fight The Power