If you live in northeast Texas please consider attending John Mark Wheelers hearing at the federal building in Sherman, TX at 2pm Tuesday, July 31st. If possible, please record the proceedings so a transparent record of the exchange exists.
John Mark Wheeler was denied PR bond at his hearing on July 31st. He may be caged until his trial in October.
It’s been communicated that he is still in much pain from injuries sustained when he was arrested.
Feel free to call his captors and inquire about his well-being: Fanin County Jail (903) 640-4171
Does an individual loose their right to defend themselves after another person labels them a “felon”?
Just who is the victim here? The “state of Texas”?
Doesn’t an individual who’s alleged to have committed a crime have the right to face their accuser? Is that possible when the accuser is the “state of Texas”?
Did Wheeler break a law? Or was it legislation? If there is no victim, where’s the crime?
One (with a more sane mind) might argue that it’s Wheeler who’s been victimized – a dislocated shoulder, damage and theft of his property, thousands in legal land bills, and the caging of his person. And for what – he never harmed person or property.
Why wouldn’t Gerald Teague even have a conversation about departmental policies? Why was he so hesitant to talk on camera?
Just who requested the use of a helicopter to check Wheeler’s property? Why was no search warrant presented when his property was searched? Why were over a dozen “law” enforcers already geared-up and on Wheeler’s property just a couple minutes after the helicopter hovered outside his dwelling? It sounds like there was already a plan to raid his property.
What do you think about how this situation has thus far panned out?
Please leave a comment to this post or email me at email@example.com if you have any updates or if you can help get Wheeler released.
Timeline of Relevant Events
- On June 28th, 2012 A Texas National Guard helicopter and multiple vehicles carrying men employed at the Delta County Sheriff’s Office, Texas Department of Public Safety, and Drug Enforcement Adminstration stormed Wheeler’s property and roughly arrest him – pulling his arm from its socket. No search warrant was shown to anyone present and his dwelling was ripped-apart. The search warrant was later added to Wheeler’s personal property he received when he was released from jail. No affidavit (which is supposed to accompany the search warrant) has thus far been produced. Despite the sensational title used by a local news article – National Guard helicopter helps find marijuana growing operation west of Cooper – Wheeler was charged with possession of less than two ounces of marijuana and “several” handguns and long-guns.
- On July 13th, 2012 Wheeler filed suit against Gerald Teague, Harold McClure, Jim Lewman and the Delta County Sheriff’s Office in federal court claiming civil rights violations.
- On July 17th, 2012 Pete Eyre from CopBlock.org visits Wheeler and interviews him on his property.
- On July 18th, 2012 Eyre visits the Delta County Sheriff’s Office and after waiting hours finally is able to see Gerald Teague (sheriff). Teague refuses to discuss policy of his department on camera. Eyre submits a FOIA request for “any and all related content”, receives a receipt, and is told per Texas statute, that he’ll get a response within 10 days.
- On July 18th, 2012 Wheeler is arrested by US Marshals and charged with possession of a firearm by a felon. He was brought to Fanin County Jail in nearby Bonham, Texas.
- Wheeler was due to have a detention hearing on July 24th, 2012 at the Federal Building in Sherman, Texas to hopefully get personal recognizance until his trial in October. That hearing was postponed.
- The rescheduled detention hearing – at 9am Friday, July 27th, 2012 – was postponed.
- The detention hearing is now supposed to be heard at 2pm on July 31st, 2012.
- On July 30th Eyre called the Fanin County Jail to inquire about Wheeler’s well-being as it had been communicated to him that since being caged on July 18th, Wheeler had lost 15-lbs and had not been provided a pen, making the completion of court documents and a medical release form impossible. After being transferred twice Eyre spoke with sgt Shelton, who, thrice nightly does rounds of segregation – where Wheeler is being held ostensibly since the facility is maxed-out. Eyre – not being a lawyer or family was not allowed to talk with Wheeler but had a conversation with Shelton who communicated that Wheeler would have gone through medical screening when entering the facility, that he’d not complained to Shelton about any injury, that his mattress pad is twice the thickness of those in non-segregation cells, and ultimately, that “I can promise you that everything’s fine.”
- On July 31st Wheeler was denied PR bond and remains caged at Fanin County Jail.
Delta Count Sheriff’s Office
Gerald Teague (sheriff)
Jim Lewman (chief investigative officer)
200 W Bonham
Cooper, Texas 75432
Phone: (903) 395-2146
Fax: (903) 395-0337
Sulphur Springs Police Department
Harold McClure (officer)
125 Davis St S
Sulphur Springs, TX 75482
Phone: (903) 885-7602
Texas Department of Public Safety
Brian Perry – firstname.lastname@example.org
Greg Wilson (employee)
5805 North Lamar Blvd.
Austin, Texas 78752-4422
Phone: (512) 424-2000
Fanin County Jail
2389 Silo Road
Bonham, TX 75418
Phone: (903) 640-4171
Fax: (903) 640-4547