On July 1st, 2010, after arresting Ademo & myself at the Franklin County House of Corrections, our good friends at the Greenfield Police Department (GPD) broke into my home, damaged and stole my property, and charged me with VIN manipulation (a misdemeanor) and possession of a firearm or ammo without a Firearm Identification Card (a felony).
In a classic “let’s pile on as many charges against those who question our commands” Todd M. Dodge of the GPD sought to enter my RV (MARV, the Mobile Authority Resistance Vehicle), though it was parked blocks from our arrest location and not involved in the incident at all. Dodge claimed that the VIN number on the dash was manipulated (submitting a photo of a vent as proof) so he wasn’t able to discern if the vehicle had been stolen. After first threatening to break the window to gain entry, his colleagues took my keys off my person when being I was booked and entered my home without a warrant or probable cause.
During the illegal search, the VIN number was found on the MARV’s frame near the engine, which confirmed that the vehicle was not stolen (as if they actually thought that was the case – they just wanted in and were going to use any justification, no matter how nefarious). And sometime before that, Dodge’s colleague lieutenant William Gordon (badge #105) claims to have “located a metal ammo box containing boxes of .40 cal ammunition in the rear of the RV on the passenger side clothes cabinet,” hence, the additional felony firearms/ammo charge.
We’re scheduled for trial on July 18th, 2011.
- The meta-post about our experiences in Greenfield
- All the documents, including the reports submitted by Dodge and Gordon, from our incident (also listed on the meta-post)
If you feel like letting these bureaucrats know that they messed up, that’d be much appreciated:
- David F. Guilbault / Todd M. Dodge – “Chief, Greenfield PD” / “Sgt., Greenfield PD.” – 413.773.5411
- Jeffrey A. Bengston – “Dist. Atty. Off. (Franklin Co.)” – 413.774.3186
- William F. Martin – “Mayor, Greenfield” – 413.772.1560
- The Recorder – Greenfield’s local paper – 413.772.0261