Ladies of Cop Block Calendar Fallout: We Must Police Ourselves
I advocate that the disinfecting light of transparency be focused on those who act in the wrong. As such, I felt compelled to weigh-in on the inaction thus far by Lauren Wagner aka Lauryn Beth Faulkner to return money to donors of the 2014 Ladies of Cop Block calendar as was promised, in the hope that it makes that conclusion more probable.
We must hold ourselves to the same standards we demand of others.
My last exchange with Lauren was when we spoke on the phone the morning of Feb. 25th (we also spoke the evening of Feb. 24th). I sent her an email on March 7th but never received a response. Part of that email is included below:
Current / Former Contact Info
Lauren Wagner, 8817 Wolverton Rd., Baltimore MD 21234
Statements From Some Involved with Ladies of Cop Block Calendar
I chose to disassociate myself from the Ladies of CopBlock calendar project due to a lack of respect regarding major concerns with the final project voiced by myself and other participants.
I regret to inform my friends and supporters than I can no longer consent to involvement in a project I was led to believe was for copblock due to profound differences in principles. I have witnessed very little transparency, accountability or any other values I’ve learned to appreciate through cb. While I can not promise a calendar, I can promise I will not stop until the truth of the funds is made available and our generous donors be made aware of such. I am currently comfortable claiming that I believe Lauryn has committed fraud and gathered these funds on behalf of my friends and I to promote herself.
After months of delays on the Ladies of CopBlock calendar, we were told the final product would be “amazing.” I think we all assumed a calendar was not that hard to make look good, and after such extreme delays, I was expecting something great. What we were shown as the ‘final product’ was not only hideous, it was filled with spelling and grammatical errors (my name wasn’t even spelled right). All the girls voiced their concerns, including the fact that the calendar was now so late that a couple of the months were no longer of use. Rather than address the concerns, our comments were met with anger and resentment. We were told it couldn’t change, cause the printers had already been paid a nonrefundable deposit. When I asked about this policy, the story changed to “no deposit, but the printer was prepaid, and we couldn’t get the money back”. Again, I asked about this policy, and the story changed again to “the money is in the bank account of Lauryn’s mother.” Because the story of where the money was kept changing, myself and others thought it would be best to get financial records and/or move the donated funds to a neutral 3rd party. Once again our requests were met with anger and verbal attacks. The general behavior came off as dishonest and angry; and the concerns of the girls regarding changes needed to the calendar were being disregarded and treated with utter contempt. For these reasons, I was no longer comfortable being a part of this project, as it was no longer clear where the money was or what the message of the project was. I hope the money is returned in full to the donors; however, I still have concerns that the money may be partially missing. I would hope that the donors could contact me if they are not refunded in full.
After the project was delayed, the original intent of the product was lost. When evidence of where funds were could not be produced when asked, adhominem attacks were the only reply we got. This is why I chose to withdraw my involvement; however I continue to support CopBlock and the new Women of CopBlock.
I chose to withdraw from the Ladies of CopBlock calendar due to philosophical differences. My goal is to promote spontaneous order and Agorist principles in all things. Concerns were met with a blatant disregard, instead of transparency, therefore loosing my support of this project. I strongly urge the donors to ask for their money back
Josie Wales (Josie the Outlaw)
My choice to disassociate from this project is due to lack of organization and major concerns voiced by many of those involved left unaddressed. However, I remain a strong supporter of CopBlock and new Women of CopBlock
- Ladies of Cop Block [Facebook page] http://facebook.com/ladiesofcopblock
- 2014 Ladies of Cop Block Calendar http://youtu.be/sLqEk-cY0Js
- Ladies of Cop Block 2014 Calendar Update http://youtu.be/NACF19nlL3Q
- Ladies of CopBlock Calendar Debacle Documents made Public by Alma Sommer [post] http://peacenewsnow.com/ladies-of-copblock-calendar-debacle-documents-made-public
- The value of decentralization and public disassociation of Lauryn Beth Faulkner, Baltimore Copblock by Toni Bones [post] http://copblock.org/the-value-of-decentralization-and-public-disassociation-of-lauryn-beth-faulkner-baltimore-copblock
- Post-Politics with Tripp Pugh on Liberty Movement Radio [radio show] http://libertymovementradio.com/archive.html > http://feeds.soundcloud.com/stream/126079789-fpp-cc-pll-radio-56.mp3
- Peace, Love, Liberty Radio [radio show] http://fppradio.com/shows/peac3volibertyradio > http://feeds.soundcloud.com/stream/126079789-fpp-cc-pll-radio-56.mp3
- Cop Block Radio Show [radio show] http://copblock.org/podcasts/radio-show
- The Angel Clark Show [radio show] http://radiofreedom.us/angel-clark-show-liberty-train-101713 > http://api.spreaker.com/download/episode/3472263.mp3
- Just Like Police Employees, We Each Speak For Ourselves by Pete Eyre [post] http://copblock.org/45205/just-like-police-employees-we-each-speak-for-ourselves
- Rayshawn Yarde – You’re Responsible for Your Reputation, Do the Right Thing by Pete Eyre [post & video] http://keenecopblock.org/432/rayshawn-yarde-reputation-is-important
- Personal Responsibility, Reputation & Kevin “Freeheart” Dean by Pete Eyre [post] http://peteeyre.com/kevindean
- Fundamentals of Voluntaryism by Carl Watner http://voluntaryist.com/fundamentals/introduction.html#.UygGSF6jLgo