The camera is the new gun.
- Canon Vixia HD – $248 – 1920x1080p 30fps – more via Amazon.com
- Drift HD Ghost – $400 – 1920x1080p 60fps – remote control, loop mode, waterproof – more via Amazon.com
- GoPro Hero3 Silver – $300 – 1920x1080p 60fps – waterproof housing – more via Amazon.com
- JCV Everio HD – $200 – 1920x1080p 30fps – 40x optical zoom – more via Amazon.com
- Veho Muvi Gumball 3000 – $120 – 1920x1080p 30fps – has remote (good for dash-mounted) and lots of mounts more via Amazon.com
Capture the truth when driving. Much thanks to our friends at DashCamTalk.com for much of the content in this area.
- Lukas LK-7300G – $280 – 1920x1080p 30fps – camera separate from DVR – more via DashCamTalk.com forum
- Mobis – $85 – 1920x1080p 30fps – more via DashCamTalk.com
- Powerucc Panorama II- $185 – 1920x1080p 30fps – more via DashCamTalk.com
- Teye ADR3000 Dual Dash Camera GPS – $399 – 640×480 16fps more via Amazon.com
- Vico-TF2+ Premium – $285 – more via DashCamTalk.com
Because sometimes you want to record on the downlow. While filming video in public is legal everywhere, in some places, recording audio without the knowledge of the other party is called “wiretapping,” so be in the know about the situation in your area: http://copblock.org/filmthepolice
- Looxcie 3 – $150 – 1280×720 30fps – small, square more via Amazon.com
- Pivothead Sunglasses – $270 – 1920x1080p 30fps – more via Amazon.com
- Veho Muvi Pro Micro – $54 – timestamped – more via Amazon.com
If someone steals your device and deletes your footage you can recover the content – just be sure you don’t record on the device before you do so as it can then become inaccessible.
- MjM Photo Recovery – free – Flash, memory cards – http://snapfiles.com/get/mjmphotorecovery.html
- PhotoRec & TestDisk – free – Android, iPhone, Linux, Mac, Windows (recommended by Carlos Miller)- http://cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
- Recuva – free – Android, iPhone, Windows – http://piriform.com/recuva
- Video Repair Tool 18.104.22.168 $40 – Mac, Windows – http://videohelp.com/tools/Video-Repair-Tool
Other gear you may want to consider getting to help leverage your actions.
- Dolica monopod – $21 – extends to 67″ – more via Amazon.com
- L Bracket – $8 -hold your camera and two other inputs (shotgun mic, smartphone, lights, etc) in one hand – more via Amazon
- Pedco small tripod – $16 – collapses, sturdy, velco strap – more via Amazon.com
- RAVPower external battery – $33 – 10,400mAh (the juice of about six smartphone batteries, helpful if you stream a lot or to power other devices)- more via Amazon
- Rode Videomic – $149 -shotgun mic for better audio – more via Amazon.com
- Rode Videomic Pro -$229 – compact shotgun mic for better audio – more via Amazon.com
- Square Jellyfish smartphone holder – $15 – secure smartphone (for streaming) to mount – more via Amazon
- Vista Tripod – $25 – basic, inexpensive – more via Amazon
Invest in yourself. Maximize your impact.
- CopBlocking 101 – article with overview on how to be effective when on the street – http://copblock.org/copblocking101
- Film The Police – page with tips, legality, and streaming apps – http://copblock.org/filmthepolice
- Know Your Rights -page with resources from many sources on how to stay safe – http://copblock.org/knowyourrights
- Smartphone Apps – page listing apps to facilitate streaming, listening to police scanners, etc. – http://copblock.org/apps
- Sub-$100 Camera Comparison – post & video overview of different video recording devices – http://copblock.org/sub-100-camera-comparison
- Vertical Video Syndrome – A PSA – 3min video, if using your smartphone to record, hold it horizontally – http://youtu.be/Bt9zSfinwFA