When you are sleepy, do NOT pull over and take a nap!

Discussion in 'Police Encounters' started by Hotketchup, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Hotketchup

Hotketchup New Member

It was 2:30am and I pulled over to the side of the road because I was nodding off, like I’ve always been told to do. Later, a Rhome Police Officer (Wise County, TX) showed up to “check and see if everything is ok”. I told him I was taking a quick nap. He had me get out and performed a field sobriety test. Then, based solely on that, he arrested me. He kept telling me “this is a misdemeanor it’s the same as getting a ticket.” And that “he could charge me with DUI”.

He mitigating factors are:
    1) He woke me out of a dead sleep
    2) No breathalyzer or blood test was taken
    3) I take medication that makes me shake and a little dizzy at times. (Lithium, adderall)*I told him this and he just said “well you can get a dui from prescription medication”
    4) About 4 years ago, I lost 165 pounds so my center of gravity has changed a lot.

So yeah, the whole heel-to-thing is very difficult for me.

Even though my vehicle was legally parked, they impounded it.

I am 49 years old and have never been arrested in my life. Shoved into a cold cell, with no clock or anything, and no one would tell me what was going on or the process. I was started to have a panic attack. I asked them about taking my meds and all they could do was tell me that I could take them if I had them on me when I was brought in. Wow.. and they offered for me to use a phone but it was $15 for 5 minutes! And before they even said your name, the person answering had to put in their debit card!!

I paid the bail of $300 and had to take the next Monday off from work to get my car.

I wasn’t bothering anyone or breaking the law. It was just one person’a opinion which he did not backup with any facts. So, my court date is soon and I’m at a loss for how to defend myself from this municipality (pop 1200ish) that is obviously just trying to generate income.

All they successfully done is made me never trust their police force, never go and patronize anything in their town, I plan on learning *everything* about this officer, and I’ll be campaigning for whoever is opposing the entire current elected officials.

Ah well. We are guilty until proven innocent.